Friday, September 28, 2012

African Kanga Compositions

Third Grade Art Lesson
3 Class Periods

African Kanga Compositions, Third Grade Lesson

  • Students were presented with a power point presentation on African Culture.  As a class we discuss the geography of Africa and went over various facts about the continent.  Other topics discussed:  clothing, jewelry, arts and crafts, animals, crops, trade and clan life.




Day 1:

1.  Students began this lesson by drawing compositions of three people carrying baskets with a pencil.  Students were asked to outline pencil with sharpie marker.

Day 2:

1.  Students incorporated designs and patterns on the Kanga style outfits. 
2.  Burlap was used to create baskets for each figure in the composition.
3.  Students were able to add fruits or vegetables to each basket if they wanted.

Day 3:

1.  Students were instructed to color compositions  with chalk pastels.
2.  Pieces were sprayed with a fixative to prevent chalk from smearing.

Students coloring compositions with chalk pastels.

Examples of Student Artwork:









7 comments:

  1. Great lesson! Can you give me some ideas about where to find resources fr the day 1 discussion? I am having a difficult time. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ayana I inserted the PowerPoint I used with this lesson above. I hope that helps. :) Obviously you can tweak it to your liking. Thanks for checking out my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much! I really enjoy your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great art lesson, thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi I love this. Can u advise what type of paper you used please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used brown bag Kraft paper. If you had large paper groceries bags, you could use that, too!

      Delete