Friday, September 30, 2016

How do I find time for this?

 The school year has been off to a crazy, busy start as usual.  My schedule has my head spinning with 6 day rotations at the elementary schedule and an A/B day rotation at the middle school.  I discovered that I have a total of 563 young artists that I am working with.  As you can imagine, my days fly!  My hardest challenge this year, so far, seems to be my 5 minute transition time between my elementary classes.  This schedule has me on my toes and I find myself very thankful for my one long prep (50 minutes) that arrives on Day 2 of our 6 day rotation.

To my fellow art teachers out there,  I would love to hear about your challenges so far this year, or how you manage a schedule similar to mine.  :)

Somehow, though, I still managed to complete two personal paintings at the beginning of this school year.  I have no idea why I waited so long to paint these pieces, considering I had all summer to do it, but from an artist's view point, you just never know when the mood or inspiration will strike.

Acrylic on canvas.  September 2016
Started as a late afternoon sketching session....

and then ended at midnight as a watercolor painting.  September 2016.

5 comments:

  1. My schedule is my challenge this year too. We are on a 12 day which really is 3, 4 day rotations with some variation. Almost every day I go 8:30 to 11:00 with no break--not even between classes and then 30 minutes to eat and get ready for my afternoon. It is nuts but I SO thankful for 3 days I have an hour and 45 minute prep. It's hard to hear classroom teachers complain about their schedule when I know that this year we have more face time with students throughout the day--it's just different kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, that is a schedule! It boggles my mind when they complain, too. Most cannot even begin to comprehend the number of students we see, the set up time, the shifting of gears from one class to the next and the amount of PR time we also have to incorporate to keep our programs alive.

    Kelsey, I'm wishing you the best this school. Thank you so much for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, that is a schedule! It boggles my mind when they complain, too. Most cannot even begin to comprehend the number of students we see, the set up time, the shifting of gears from one class to the next and the amount of PR time we also have to incorporate to keep our programs alive.

    Kelsey, I'm wishing you the best this school. Thank you so much for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, I teach at 4 different elementary schools with 750 students in all! It is very overwhelming and at times I'm exhausted! At times? All the time!! I have to stay really organized travelling from school to school. I also have some classes at 31 students so I have to scale down a lot of the projects. Best of luck to you! Glad I'm not the only one! Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. I am starting to think about the scaling down a bit, too. Lessons that go 3 or more days are going to have to be revamped. It is just seems to be too much time for them to be on one lesson. So many projects I want to do. So much depth I could go in each lesson. Yet no time to do it in. ;(

      Good luck to you! 750 names! I don't know how you do it!

      Delete