Monday, April 16, 2018

Going Big with Haring

First Grade
1 class period
Going Big with Haring, First Grade Art Project
Day 1:
If time allows, I love to add on this fun Keith Haring project with my students.  This year, I did it with one of my first grade groups that were getting further ahead on their projects in relation to the other sections I teach.  It was great way to reinforce what they have been learning as well as allowing my other sections an extra day to catch up.

I began by having large pieces of white kraft paper torn and ready to go.  I decided to have each table group work on one painting.  I currently have 5 tables in my classroom, so we made 5 figures.   Each group had 3 to 4 students working at it.

One member of the group was selected to be the model for the drawing.  I would then trace the student very quickly with a pencil.  Students loved watching this and were amazed when they rolled off the paper to see what they looked like.

Tracing students with pencil.

As a team, students had to discuss and agree on the color they were going to paint their person.  Once they agreed on a color, I distributed the paint and they set off to work painting in the figure completely.


Painting figures.
When groups finished painting, we took black liquid tempera paint and outlined the figured. We added a few motion lines and then set the work off to the side to dry.






No comments:

Post a Comment