Tuesday, September 24, 2019

2019-2020 School Year

I can barely believe that another summer as come and gone.  Welcome back to school letters have been sent home and I find myself starting my 13th year at the Cameron School District and beginning my 17th year teaching in total.

There are moments when I feel like a first year teacher.  Nervous butterflies, wondering what the year will bring, learning new names and using my creative energy to figure out how I want to set up my classroom for the school year.

Then there are moments, when I also realize that I have been doing this for quite awhile.  Going over classroom procedures and expectations, making seating charts (after having the same students for several years in a row, I definitely know who can sit next to whom), sitting in the never ending first day inservice meetings and just overall having the confidence of knowing what projects I will be starting with for the school year.

I have lots of plans for the school year, one of the main ones is reconnecting with my students.  Last year I really got wrapped up in the whirlwind of having 565 students.  So much grading!  Two different schedules (6 day rotation in the elementary - 4 day rotation in the middle school)!  I felt like I was on never ending amusement park ride.  I have decided not to grade every assignment this year.  I have been working with administrators to help ease my crazy schedule.  I am going to try to go with the flow more and not get hung up on deadlines and due dates for projects, especially at the elementary level.  I want to talk to my students more.  I want to know more about their lives and what is happening at home.  I want to sit and make art with my students.  This is the school year where I take a deep breath and refocus on why I wanted to become an art teacher in the first place.

Wishing you all an incredible school year!

Love,

Mrs. Cornell

P.S.  I am going to try and be better at blogging this year as well.  My goal is bi-weekly updates.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment